The opinions expressed are mine and do not reflect the positions of the Peace Corps or the US government.

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

It’s Harder than I Thought: July 11, 2013


“Leave your expectations at home!” we were advised. So I did. Yeow! I had no idea… Peace Corps has integrated volunteers for more than 50 years – they have it down. They toss us in the water, but make sure there are people and lifesaver rings around to keep us from drowning. Then, slowly, support withdraws. Every now and then I realize I’m not in a pool, but in an ocean, and take on faith that I really will be swimming before long.

Our days are chockfull. Language classes are the most intense, especially for me, since sometimes I think my brain is just a sieve. I hear and repeat and write and use and hear and repeat and still forget. Fortunately some is sticking, and that gives a place for more to stick. It’s just much more slowly than I would like. Tonight I’ve been re-writing my notes so I can find what I need more easily, and practicing with flash cards.

In addition, there are classes in safety and nutrition, and hands-on lessons in all kinds of skills, including composting (building a compost pile, rather than keeping an ongoing compost pile for food scraps) and permagardening. The soil here is like Oregon red clay, so I hope to bring home some of the experience many of you already have.

We’re on our own for breakfast and lunch, and with stores as we know them out of our reach, I’m making do with what the Peace Corps gave me and what I can get locally. Today we sought local food for a meal we will make tomorrow; that consisted mostly of talking to each other and other groups of students (our group has 4 students, one thisela (instructor). We found a live chicken (which someone will kill for us, but we will have to clean), beans, fresh beets, green peppers and rice. The emakotapeni (avocados) are just ripening and we didn’t find any, though a couple of days ago I bought a couple of not yet ripe giant ones for about 20 cents) each. Yummm! I hope to be able to cook for my host family soon.

Classes start early (between 7:00 and 8:00) and end in the afternoons – sometimes not until 4 or later. Then it’s back to our homesteads to do chores: haul, boil and purify water, do dishes and laundry, clean our homes and ourselves, interact with our host families. And though the days are sometimes warm, nights are cold without heat. Add in that we are in a foreign country where we are surrounded by language we don’t understand, in a culture that could take our actions as offensive no matter how we mean those actions… We’re adults, with others structuring almost all our time. Yep, definitely harder than I thought.

All of my energy seems to be going into just learning and surviving; it feels like all work and few rewards. Then it hit me: this is how people who are making changes in their lives feel. Sometimes overwhelmed. Sometimes as though no amount of trying can be enough. Sometimes as though the goal is invisible.

So, of course, the next questions arise: How can I
  • Reward myself?
  • Use this experience to understand and communicate with others?
  • Enhance my teaching skills?
  • Build self-confidence by looking at what I am learning and accomplishing?
  • Give myself credit for what I have already learned?
  • Pay attention to what I am feeling and realize my students will be feeling this way, too. Then discover how I can acknowledge, honor and address that experience?
Just recognizing how daunting these changes are helps. I’m more positive now than I was this morning. The answers will come with time, and framing the situation as a learning experience I can use also helps.

I know I’ll be swimming on my own soon; all I have to do is keep working as hard as I can, pay attention and allow my friends and family to support me. Oh yeah, and breathe.

No comments:

Post a Comment