The opinions expressed are mine and do not reflect the positions of the Peace Corps or the US government.

Sunday, June 9, 2013

It Takes a Village



Sitting on my front porch, gazing at the roses, bamboo, palm trees and luscious greenery, typing this. A hummingbird flew in front of my face. Wings beating swiftly, it hovered at eye level, then flew off. Another gift.

Last night was a going away party for me. I can’t begin to describe the depth to which I was touched, nor have I been able to fit words around the emotions. But as I try, it comes to me that It Takes A Village is not just about raising children. It’s also about nurturing and supporting each other.  It’s a way of life.

We ate way too much of the delicious food. Then sat in a circle and I received encouragement, love and touchstones to take with me to Africa, to a whole different culture and way of life. I was a link in that circle, a temporary focus, but not the center; one part of a whole. And though many folks were physically present, many others are also a part of that circle. I will take gifts with me, some physical and many more energetic/spiritual/intangible.

Two things emerged from this gathering: Intentional Group Appreciation and It Takes a Village; each needs its own blog.

I think that once our Villages were physical places; today we create them with circles of friends. Sometimes we call them extended family, families of choice, long-time friends… My Village is sending me off with an incredible link to, for want of a better word, Home. I keep saying thank you, trying to express gratitude to Universe/Great Mystery/The Divine/God/Whomever for the abundance connecting all of us.

I am venturing out into the world with my Village, my Home, at my back, lending me strength and courage. I will draw on the good things you, my Village, offer, and replenish it with what other Villages share.

Gratitude. 
Connected. 
Yes.

The poem that manifested this morning:

It Takes A Village

In that circle
of friends
I am a link

In that circle
We make a reservoir
of shared
        energy
        knowledge
        love
        experience
        laughter
        strength

Touchstones
reflect
Belief in me
        as a me
        and as one
        who strives to share
        with the world
        the best in all of us.

With a touch to a gift
with a smile
I’ll dip often
into that pool

And replenish it
with gratitude
        for lives shared.

                ~Michele
                June 9, 2013

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like an amazing going away party. Wish I could have been there, but you know my spirit is always with you.

    ReplyDelete